Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Stalls in Webster 88

From: KASH To: KASH
Hours: 1.0
Type: C-172R Cessna Skyhawk utility
Number: N688DW
CFI: Brady Valliere
Discription: Brady and I took off out of Nashua on Runway 32. I held a steady climbout at 80 KIAS. Webster 88, a spinworthy aircraft, pretty much held the airspeed by itself. We flew over to Potanipo at 3800 MSL. The first maneuver we pulled was a power-off stall, which I recovered from alright, but I lost too much altitude. Then we climbed to 4500 MSL. I did a power-on stall, which was scary and on the recovery, a wing dropped and I hit the wrong rudder and nearly spun the aircraft, which was even scarier. Luckily I was fast on the other rudder and I pulled Webster 88 out of the stall before it begun to spin. Otherwise, Brady would've had to take control and recover. After the recovery, Brady brought the airplane into a stall and had me work the rudders to show me to use rudder opposite of the turn rather than step on the ball in this situation. Then I did another power-on stall and recovered fine. After that, Brady had me put on some IFR goggles and had me fly around instrument only. Then after removing the goggles, I located Nashua, called in for a touch and go. My approach was too wide of the runway and I had to cut in. I only got 20 degrees of flaps down by the time I was over the numbers. Then I pulled off a perfect flare, hit the main wheels, then the nose gear. Brady retracted the flaps and we went around the pattern one more time. This time my approach was much more accurate and I got into full landing configuration, but my flare was a little messy. We taxied to the ramp, shut down and went in the Aviation Center to brief.

Logged: 22 hours, 62 landings

No comments: