Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Steep turns and a really crappy approach.

From: KASH To: KASH
Hours: 0.9
Type: C-172R Cessna Skyhawk
Number: N683DW
CFI: Nick Forte
Discription: We took off and headed to the south where the Balls are (a radar station of some sort.) Along the way, Nick had me throw on the IFR goggles and fly instrument only for a while. After a few clearing turns, I did some steep turns at about 45 degrees of bank. I maintained airspeed and altitude in both. After rolling out, I quickly located the airport when we were done with that and went through the In Range checklist. Got the ATIS and lost the airport. After trying to get a visual on KASH and failing at that, Nick let me use the GPS and find a vector. Once we had the vector, I flew IFR until we got a few miles out from the downwind leg. We entered the pattern. I turned to base too soon and too close to a guy on final, so Nick took the controls and got us down. I'd've done a go around if this was a solo. Next time, I need a sharper eye out for traffic. We secured the airplane and left. Lesson was GPed.

Logged: 22.9 hours, 63 landings

No comments: