Friday, November 10, 2006

Around the Patterns Again in Wind.

From: KASH To: KASH
Hours: 0.7
Type: Cessna Skyhawk C-172R
Number: N681DW
CFI: Nick Forte
Discription: It was a somewhat windy day, winds were from 300 at 11, gusting at about 20 knots. The take-off was faster then expected. With nearly full-on headwind, the airplane simply took off quickly. After reaching 1000, I started my turn into the pattern. I found myself about 200 feet above the pattern altitude of 1200MSL (1000AGL) and brought it down, too abruptly. Following Nick's advice, I slowed the airplane to 1800 RPMs for the down wind. At midfield, I made the call for a touch and go. Turned to base and then final and brought Webster 81 to the ground. Nick hit the flaps and we went up again. It took me a bit to get the airplane to reach Vy (79 KIAS) for the climbout. Went around the pattern again, Nick had me do wind correction, which I couldn't get a good feel for. I didn't square out my turns enough either. Again, I managed a landing and we went up again. The third time, I screwed up and Nick had to take the controls again. We got out and went around a last time and I landed, but then I porpoised.

I need to apply wind correction more. I also need to avoid the porpoise and recover from one properly. (Power up, then gently attempt to land.)

Logged: 24.5 hours, 70 landings

No comments: